There is a lot of talk in these and other pages about the use of the ‘ePub’ and other ebook formats formats to get your book onto the digital market. However there will be times when you don’t want to go to any trouble: you just want to share a document, ideally with some level of security to prevent it being easily duplicated.
In these cases the good old-fashioned PDF file may well be your answer. PDFs have a number of advantages for quick and easy sharing:
- They are easy to create from any application’s ‘print’ menu.
- They can be read on virtually any computer, tablet or smartphone, no matter the operating system, and normally without the reader having to install additional software.
- They replicate the formatting and layout of your document, no matter what sort of device the recipient chooses to read it on.
- While not absolutely bullet proof, they can be made secure in a number of ways.
- They are often smaller files than their word processor equivalents.
The PDF is as close as you will get to a ‘digital photocopy’.